Tuesday, 11 June 2013

How to wear it: Neon

I've decided to start a new series of posts on my take on how to wear current and mini trends. Showing you some inspirational photos, advice and tips on how to work a trend into your style. Now I know the cool thing to say is "I don't follow the trends" but I do and I love 'em! So to kick-start this hopefully successful train of posts I'm going for NEON.

Now neon is quite a difficult shade of colour to grasp, you can either end up looking like a guest from My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding or a ridiculous looking barbie like Nicki Minaj (note: I do love her but my god she wears SO many colours!). 
I used to associate neon with 13 year olds bopping to Cascada at the disco in the local hall but recently I've become a big fan of these overly bright colours. When it comes to nailing this trend I've learned a few tips along the way.

1. I know fashion has no limits but I reckon the MAXIMUM amount of neon pieces to wear in an outfit is 3. Any more and you're over doing it.
2. If you want to make your lime jumper or fuchsia skirt POP, wear them against a neutral or muted palette like black, white, beige or baby/pastel colours. 


4. Nervous of wearing a piece of clothing? Opt for an accessory; bags, hats, shoes, scarves and even nail polish can make an impact!

5. Choose accessories carefully, the wrong accessory can destroy an outfit or give off an impression which you weren't intending.


6. Want to spice things up? If you're chancing on wearing different neon colours together and not sure which ones go, have a look at a colour wheel; colours oposite one another compliment each other so it basically does all the hard work of matching up for you!


7. And finally, because this is quite a bold and daring trend, be CONFIDENT and COMFORTABLE! There's nothing worse than seeing someone uncomfortable in an outfit that they're not confident about or in.

If you like this post and want to see more please comment below and feel free to follow me on Bloglovin'

Laaaaaaaaaater,
Lil

LIKE ME // TWEET ME // FOLLOW ME

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! Great tip with the colour wheel. I'd never though about that before, so thank you! I'm now following you on Bloglovin'. :)

    heatheresweet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! Yea I learned it in Art class back in school, such a good tip!

      Delete
  2. Great tips, I'm loving the neon atm but sometimes matching it can be difficult. :)
    -Cecilia srslyceci.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm a big fan of neon :)

    www.lolafaith.co.uk

    ReplyDelete