Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Trend Report: Frayed Hems






Remember back in the 90s/early 00s it was cool to have embroidered hems on your jeans? Or to have a band of funky patterned ribbon? Or even better, velvet. Oooooh-aaaaahh. I remember one of my favourite pairs had an ethnic embroidery design crawling up them as high as two or three inches, when I grew out of them I told Mom that if she ever threw them out I would never speak to her, ever again. Back then I thought all my clothes and shoes had feelings. HA! Isn't that a great story to tell if I'm ever asked: Why Fashion? I'll say...well, when I was young, I never threw out any of my clothes or shoes because I reckoned they all had feelings. I think it worried Mom a bit. 

Anyway, shortly after, the revival of the skinny jeans came along and I don't think we'll ever say goodbye to it ever again. The style has morphed itself into an essential, when you're packing to go somewhere, I'm sure 90% of you think, "I need a comfy pair of skinny jeans". WHAT an oxymoron. Then, last year, or it may have been 2012 (I can't entirely remember), the  turned up hem trend was the way to wear your skinnies. 

And now, 2014 has introduced the frayed hem fad. And no, it's not that look of "these jeans are too long for me but I've worn them anyway and let the ends drag and fray". It's the "I've purposely cut the ends off and frayed them a little so I fit in with the fash pack" look. A new edgy alternative to the turned-up hem and I LAV IT! It can work with either a pair of skinnies, bootleg or straight-leg, I personally like the way it looks on a straight-leg pair.

ALSO, short legged people, breathe a sigh of relief - no hassle of getting your jeans taken up, just chop the ends off!  

Laaaaaaaaaaaater,

Lil





6 comments:

  1. I've got an old pair of jeans just begging to be snipped! Gonna have some DIY fraying fun tomorrow :) Great post ;)

    Fee
    http://www.pingle-blog.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this trend!

    Boyfriend jeans, plaid shirt and slip-on, new look on lowbudget-lowcost Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not seen this trend until now, I love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I would love to try out, cause its so simple and edgy, but classic. Thanks for sharing!

    Brigita,
    http://www.lostinpattern.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the subtle detail!
    This was a great post, I’ll be back for more :)

    I hope you can check my blog out too sometime.

    Kendra
    xx

    My Blog - Stolen Inspiration

    Instagram - @kendraalexandra

    Google Friend Connect- Stolen Inspiration
    Bloglovin' - Stolen Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this frayed hem look, it looks so fresh!

    ReplyDelete